Recent twitter entries...

The REAL Difference Between Rap and Hip-Hop

Whenever I go to a music store or website, I always see Hip hop and Rap in the same section, and many times the terms are used interchangeably.

When you bring up this subject to people, there are many different responses. Most of the time people equate Hip hop to being the older of the two, as the real foundation for the genre. People also say that Hip hop has more of a Jazzy, upbeat feel. Rap, according to most people, is anything made after 1994. Most of what came before is considered Old school hip hop.

Some people say Hip hop is Dead. "Rapper" Nas claimed this a while back. I disagree..and I also don't consider Nas a "Rapper," though he is commonly referred to a one.

You may or may not know but I'm an independent artist myself. I actually happen to be a lyricist that mostly writes hip hop lyrics, but I also do some Rock and R&B. I would never classify myself as a rapper though, simply because of the bad connotations that the word is associated with. When I say connotations, I mean the subject matter that is in the songs.

The REAL difference between the two categories is lyrical content. Rap, I classify, as being a genre that focuses on particular concepts over and over again. The subject matter never really changes very much. It is almost like Rap is a mass produced form of music, and the artistic dynamic to the music is often lost.

However Hip hop on the other hand, which is still very much alive (overshadowed, but alive), has a greater value to the listener. It offers poetic and often insightful lyrics that give you a second reason to want to listen. Take a look at one of my favorite Hip hop lyricists, Emmanuel Jackson in the video below. He's unknown right now, but look out for him in the next couple years. Hip hop will be making a huge comeback. His style is also the closest to my own that I have ever seen and I have tremendous respect for his art.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA8jnNts4ms]

I hope this post cleared this issue up for a lot of people. Rap is a mainstream pop genre that goes through fads faster than an elementary school, and Hip hop is a fundamentally pure art form who's roots are so deep that it will never really die. In fact, I think Rap may be in danger pretty soon, especially with people like Emmanuel Jackson emerging, who happens to feel the exact same way as me on the subject. The REAL difference is all about the REAL.

P.S. I should have a EP out by the end of the year ;)

Written by: Dante Cullari (aka ilL principe) Found and President Beat-Play, LLC

Comments (0)

Post a Comment